In just over 12 months much has happened-either initiated by Dame Hornet or by one of her loyal fans.
- Rampant expense abuse is over:Cllr Cockell is no longer entertaining "mystery friends" to dinner in New York and submitting expense claims ($2,100) for hotel stays in Boston without receipts being presented. His expenses are now vetted by the Town Clerk instead of a junior officer.
- The Hornets Nest is now the rallying point for residents of all political hues who resent the abuse of power for which this council has become synonymous. But the clean up campaign continues....
- Daniel Moylan, the driver of many nonsensical and money wasting ego projects has been neutralised and is no longer a power in Hornton Street
- Cllr Cockell and friends are now having to look over their shoulders. No longer can they act as if they owned the place
- Barry Phelps, a legendary bully and financial man of mystery has been booted out; thanks to a spirited campaign by the Hornet
Councillors-such as Cllr Palmer, who thought they could non disclose business interests have been bought to book and realise that they are not above the rules...... BUT there is much work in progress. Freedom of Information requests and continued press coverage will be used to shine the light on abuse of power and financial recklessness.
- Reduce outrageous senior officer class salaries. Eric Pickles has made a clarion call demanding Chief Executives reduce their salaries by 10%. Oddly our man Myers, costing us £280,000 a year has chosen to laugh off the suggestion.
- The Dame would like to see some national benchmarking for Cabinet salaries and the Leader's SRA reduced from £66k to a more just £40k, in line with Hammersmith and Fulham. So far, we have made no progress with this objective.
- She wants to see an end to double jobbing-Eric Pickles has slammed the practice, but our £125,000 'Leader' seems not to have heard, nor Cabinet colleague Baronessa Ritchie on close to £100,000
- Put an end to ludicrous Trophy Projects such as Holland Park School and Exhibition Rd. Residents have proven over Sloane Square that it can be done.
- Force proper explanation of out of control credid card spending and normalise the current obscene expenses regime. RBKC councillors are practically alone in still being able to travel First Class. Have they forgotten that this is a perk that MP's and senior military are now excluded from: or do they think they are more important? Finally.....
- Restore Democracy to K&C
The culture of fear in Hornton Street: control by the Leader of individual councillors via SRA's: the abuse of the "consultation" process by using it to announce decisions rather than to consult. The absence of checks and balances is proving a tough nut to crack. It seems that only the retirement of Cllr Cockell- to make way for fresh blood will achieve this. No Leader of any council should be allowed to linger on after 14 years of mediocre rule. Time to go Cockell!
So it's been a productive time demonstrated by the nearly 67,000 viewings. The Dame welcomes reader's additions to the 'wish list' and bids you all a fine summer holiday