WEDS 25 MAY FROM 4.45PM (meet outside at 4.30pm)
KENSINGTON TOWN HALL
Support the application for Kensington Odeon
to become an Asset of Community Value!
HEAR THE DEBATE
AT THE EXTRAORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING
PUBLIC GALLERY, COUNCIL CHAMBER,
TOWN HALL, HORNTON STREET
Meeting starts 4.45pm prompt, meet outside at 4.30pm
The Friends of the Kensington (Odeon) are working with amenity societies, schools, cinema and theatre professionals including the specialist theatre design group Charcoal Blue (www.charcoalblue.com) to propose a mixed use arts venue.
The working title for the project is “The Hitchcock, Kensington” as it was his local cinema and the place where his first two movies were shown in 1926 and 1927.
“The Hitchcock, Kensington” will provide:
1) A large, flexible theatre (800-1000 seats) for classical concerts / opera / plays / shows and TV/ Radio broadcast. There will be a fly tower and a flexible format stage.
2) A smaller flexible studio theatre with around 400 seats for film, theatre performances / TV / Radio broadcast
3) A rehearsal studio on the top floor with TV / Radio broadcast ability
4) Four underground cinemas (200-300 seats each) accessed by extending the existing staircases downwards
5) Gallery Space
6) A café / Tea Room / Bar / Members Club within the original tea room spaces
There will be strong educational and community programs and the Hitchcock would create a new West London festival for the Performing Arts. The Hitchcock will also form a cultural hub with the new Design Museum, scheduled to open opposite in November 2016.
The Friends of the Kensington (Odeon) Hitchcock Kensington proposal would retain and restore the full facade, entrance, the marble staircases and restore / re-introduce the original foyer / reception. It is our aim to restore and sympathetically enhance many of the original art deco features.
We have the support of: The Cinema Theatre Association; The Kensington Society; Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Association; The British Film Institute; Opera Holland Park; SAVE Britain’s Heritage; The 20th Century Society; Portobello Café Society